BECKSTONE PRIMARY SCHOOL PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION AND FRIENDS COMMITTEE

 

Minutes of Meeting held on Tuesday 8th November 2011 at
Beckstone Primary School.
 

Present: Mrs Lowery Mrs Hardy Mrs Scott
  Mr Warbrick Mrs Henderson Mrs Bagley  
  Mrs Pike Mrs Watson Mrs Hemsley
  Mrs Little  Mrs Sooi Mrs Sutton
  Mrs Murray    Mrs Pattinson Mrs Walker   
  Mrs Mahone Mrs Falcon  

                                                                                                                                                         

Apologies: Mrs Finlay

Mrs Scott recorded the minutes of the meeting.


Minutes of Last Meeting

Members confirmed receipt of the minutes of the last meeting and approved their contents.


Treasurers Report

Mrs Hardy discussed PTA Accounts. We presently have a balance of £4438.92 which has been enhanced by our Christmas Fair and Christmas Raffle which made a net profit of £1325 and £728 respectively.

Expenditure included Nativity costumes for Reception, KS1 and KS2 costing £237, Selection Boxes £315, Nursery Artwork £320 and Year 6 Autograph Books £66.18.


Events for 2012

PTA members are to organise a Bunny Drive to be held on Thursday 22nd March at 6pm.

Entry and refreshment costs confirmed as £2 per adult, £1 per child or £5 per family (max six to include at least one adult). Tea or coffee and a biscuit to be served at a cost of 50p and juice and a packet of crisps also 50p.

Mr Warbrick to organise a practice run with pupils to generate some interest.

Prizes - 36 prizes required for Egg and Bonnet decoration competition (date to be advised), prizes also required for Bunny Drive ie highest scoring adult, highest scoring child and booby prizes for lowest score.

Mrs Finlay to purchase these after first approaching Tesco, Morrison and Asda for donations (Mrs Watson to provide contact details).

Please also check stocks of Tea, coffee, crisps and soft drinks.

Sponsored Skipping event to take place week commencing 21st May 2012, parents are to be invited to join in. This is to coincide with the sport relief event "run a mile with your child" to be held the same week promoting healthy living.

Friday 1st June - Party day to commemorate the Queens Diamond Jubilee. Mr Warbrick to ask cook to prepare a packed lunch for all children and Teachers to organise activities in their classes.

Children's Olympics to be held on 12th June. This is to be a fantastic event being lead by Mrs Henderson. All schools in Workington have been invited to attend. The Opening Ceremony to include 15 children from each school performing, 3 sets of 5 Olympic rings. All secondary schools joining together to perform music going in. Mr Milner is to write a "Super Song" which will then be taught to pupils prior to the event. A massive undertaking which will involve approximately 2500 children and is to cost in the region of £12000, sponsorship is being sought to cover this.

Each child will be given a medal on a striped ribbon inset with "Workington Olympic Sports 2012" and certificates will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the events themselves. An Olympic Torch is to be created by St Joseph's DT department and will be taken around all schools by a sporty volunteer and child from each school.

The real Olympic Torch will be in Workington on 21st June and dependant on the route it takes some or all pupils will line the route to watch it pass.

Graduation is to be incorporated in a Summer Spectacular to be held on 11th and 12th July (graduation at the end of proceedings on 12th July) venue to be arranged but possibly Lakes College or Southfield School. This event will involve all pupils. Mrs Lowery and Mrs Hardy to hand out dictionaries on behalf of the PTA.


Expenditure

PTA Members were happy to agree a donation of £330 towards an Olympic Medal for each child. Further funds may be donated from sponsored events in relation to this event.

Mrs Pike made a request for £1,500 towards outdoor climbing equipment as part of a project to renovate the Reception and KS1 garden area; the grass is to be replaced with a surface that allows access all year round (whilst maintaining the existing plants and garden area) and amongst other things climbing equipment installed to develop fine motor skills and imaginative creative play. PTA Members were happy to agree to this request.

A discussion was held regarding visibility in the hall during productions/assemblies held by the School. The existing staging makes it difficult to make a quality recording of all children during a production and often parents are unable to see their children especially if the parent is located at the back of the hall or the child is seated on the floor. Mr Warbrick is to make enquiries into alternative staging which may be purchased to alleviate this problem. To be discussed further at next meeting.


Year 6 Leaving Presents

The PTA are happy to fund a dictionary to accompany the autograph book already purchased for each Year 6 leaver. Mr Warbrick to organise with Mrs Vaughan.


Any Other Business

Nothing to discuss.



Date of Next Meeting
Our next meeting is to be held on Tuesday 13th March at 5.30pm